I'm using JFS in mission critical production over the last few years,
and it's been a very reliable workhorse, so I won't be abandoning it
anytime soon. I normally work with many thousands of small files, along
with a few relatively large ones up to 100GB, JFS has been very good for
that type of application. I've had very few problems with it, even after
many unexpected shutdowns.

XFS has been around for a very long time and is optimized for very large
files, so at least for the large disk imaging tasks, XFS appears to be a
safe bet for now. I do hope you'll figure this problem out, it's much
better if I can get away with using only one FS for all tasks.