Pradeep Padala wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:44:39 -0500
> > From: Barry Arndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Pradeep Padala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: [Jfs-discussion] JFS resizer
> >

> > The "real work" for extending JFS will be done in the file system itself,
> > mainly so one does not have to unmount to do the extend.  (This is how
> > extending was done in previous versions of JFS, and we are continuing
> > that tradition in this port).  extendfs is a small utility that will call
> > the entry
> > point in JFS to begin the extension.
>
> I have replied to this mail indicating that I would like to work on a
> user level library with resize functionality so that applications like
> parted can call the libaray functions.
>
> If the functionality is already there in old jfs then I can help you
> in porting it to linux jfs and eventually writing the code for user
> level libraries.
>
> I am doing this as a part of my course "unix file systems". I
> would like to work on this in future as well and maintain the
> code. Please let me know what you want me to do.
>
> --pradeep

Pradeep,

A very large part of extendfs functionality is in the file system, like 100%.
Doing this is user space is going to have some challenges, like there several
items that aren't exported by the file system (i.e. creating a transaction, .....)
Here is a version of jfs_extendfs.c that I'm in the process of porting. It still
doesn't compile yet, hopefully it will soon.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/jfs/project/pub/jfs_extendfswip.c

Does the extendfs functionality need to be in user space? or can this functionality
be in the file system and just be called from your user space program?

Thanks,
Steve