Hi Axel!

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Axel H. Siebenwirth wrote:

> what gcc version have you used to compile your kernel and what
> distribution do you use.

It's a SuSE 7.1 which has "gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)".

> I have had about the same oops with my 2.4.19-preX as well.
> Unfortunately I cannot say for sure whether my upgrade of gcc fixed it
> or some updates of JFS.
> But I think one time after Shaggy asked me what gcc version I used, I
> tried compiling a kernel which I had JFS oops with, with gcc 2.95.3 and
> everything was fine.
>
> But in the end it was probably a lucky combination of gcc upgrade and
> JFS update that fixed it.

Hmm, I just thought I give it a try with the newest 2.4 kernel and
the current JFS 1.0.21, but if you say I also have to upgrade my
compiler that I probably just leave it as it is, because I just do
not have the time to upgrade gcc or the distribution... (And this
was my first _corruption_ since the heavy one in April.)

> P.S. Shaggy, BTW, have you done something about the oops reports?
> I mean look into them and fixed something?

Hmm, to me it seems that the JFS team has a fixed layed out which
they pursue without much looking left or right. :-(

I had sent several problems and also severe corruptions to this list
before, but after a general "we will be looking into this" I have
never heard anything again, and the Changelog entries are too
technical for normal users like me, and I cannot see if there was
something related to my problem(s).  I definitely wish that the JFS
team would be a bit more verbose...

Greetings,
        Peter.