At 16:22 27.01.2003 +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 14:41, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> I would like linux to handle default quota limits like NTFS 5 do it.
>
> So if a new user is added to the system and start to own disk space on a
> filesystem he
> should get the default quotas for the specified FS as his own quotas.

That's a user-space problem.  A new user typically won't have a writable
area within /home until the sysadmin has created the new home directory,
so it's really up to the sysadmin to make sure that the quota for the
home filesystem has been set at the same time.
what is with a filesystem in witch the user has write access because of group memberships.

or/and the user's/group's are stored in LDAP:
then user are added directly to the LDAP diretory and they maybe available on a large amount of servers and it's a pain to manage the quotas for each filesystem on each server.

also it's hard to handle changed group memberships...

I think there's a good reason that NTFS 5 support default quota limits.
And it would be cool if linux would support them too.
it's not hard to implement and it would make thinks much easier to handle in large environments!

> I have searched in google to find another unix witch allready implements
> this feature,
> but I didn't find any.

The kernel doesn't need it --- just do it in the user-space user config
tool
There're many things, witch are not inevitable needed in the kernel,
but they all make the life easier.

Would it really hurt that much if the kernel would support it?

metze