On Friday 14 February 2003 12:22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've just begun using JFS 1.1.1 with kernel 2.4.18 (Debian Woody).
>
> I note that block size is either 512, 1024, 2048 or 4096 bytes and
> that 4096 is the default.
>
> I looked at the man pages but didn't see an option to created a JFS
> filesystem with a block size other than 4096. Is block size defined
> in the source code, or have I missed something else?

JFS on Linux currently only supports a 4K block size.  Support for
smaller blocksizes has been on the todo list, but it hasn't been given
a high priority.  JFS on OS/2 and AIX does, however, support smaller
block sizes.

> I don't do mp3s, video, huge databases or anything else that requires
> really large files (other than package files and kernel source
> tarballs <g>). Given that my system is biased toward small files,
> would there be an advantage to smaller block size?

Possibly, but I'm afraid you don't have that option with JFS yet.

> Kevin

Shaggy
--
David Kleikamp