On Wednesday 19 February 2003 04:59, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm experimenting with JFS and EVMS at the moment (very impressive so
> far), and for kicks I installed it on my 260 which I have dual
> booting AIX 5.1 and Linux.  After some tweaking I was able to make
> EVMS discover all my LVs.
>
> I was unable to make Linux JFS recognise the AIX JFS2 filesystems on
> the LVs and after browsing the JFS website it seems that JFS2 were
> based on the same OS/2 code base but are not the same.  So, how
> feasible is it to make the Linux JFS codebase read AIX JFS2
> filesystems (from reading it would seem that AIX JFS1 would be hard)?

You're pretty much right on target.  Linux JFS and AIX JFS2 were
branched from the same base code, but are a little bit different on
disk.  (The biggest difference is big vs. little-endian.)  I don't
think it would be difficult to adapt the JFS code to grok JFS2 if the
JFS2 specs were available.

>  Also, (and this is really a rhetorical question), what was the point
> in coding AIX LVM support in EVMS if AIX filesystem support was not
> intended in Linux for JFS?

My guess is just for completeness.  It allows the future development of
Linux JFS2, or it allows a Linux file system to reside in an AIX volume
group even if it couldn't be used by AIX.

--
David Kleikamp
IBM Linux Technology Center