I'm using jfs on several machines and I've noticed very strange beahviour
since I've installed test5 release of linux 2.6.0 kernel. (x86,SMP(HT)) I've
had to reboot  the machine (in one case with hard reset) and after  the boot
the jfs partiton was corrupted. Some files were missing, some others
unaccessible (Permission denied to do anything, even lsattr, to root), some
others with Input/Output error. I've experienced this on two different
systems,and on both systems I've lost, for example, /var/lock/subsys
directory. With test4 all works just fine. I've used jfs utils 1.1.2 and
1.0.4.
On one machine fsck (1.1.2) locks indefinitely on Phase 1, with pipe symbol
going back and fort but without any HD movement. Also, on the same partition,
I've had to move away some files (i.e. Xfree log) because it was impossible
to delete or overwrite them.
Also other files operations like rpm --rebuilddb runs only for few steps then
get stopped until ctrl-c is pressed.

I've switched back to test4 but the filesystems remains corrupted (but it's
stable, no further damages)

I'm worried that this can be a test5 problem, if more details are needed I've
still the broken partition on the machine, so I can make more tests.

--
Fabio Coatti       http://www.ferrara.linux.it/members/cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group           http://ferrara.linux.it