On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Stephen Felts <stephen.fe...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> Yes, it is compiling and running on Jigsaw.  It’s not pretty but generally
> getting better. I’m concerned about a number of behaviors that aren’t
> pinned down yet and I’m worried that a discussion like this one will
> introduce a non-upward-compatible behavior that will break things worse.

Well I appreciate your candid opinion because I believe that you and Niel
are ultimately correct. I'll quote from section 3.1 of SOTMS:

"An existing class-path application that compiles and runs on Java SE 8
will, thus, compile and run in exactly the same way on Java SE 9, so long
as it only uses standard, non-deprecated Java SE APIs."

To introduce extra validating behavior is backward incompatible. So yes, I
believe this is not a good idea anymore. Thanks for your input. I did want
to prevent classes shadowing each other, but it's clear the classpath is
meant to be more lenient than the modulepath. Kudos.

Regarding your previous email, please help me understand how your web
application works at all with those duplicate JDK classes present. Wouldn't
the modules that expose those JDK classes put you in a split package
situation?

Cheers,
Paul