We allowed classes in the classpath that were provided by the JDK to go
silently unchallenged.
I think making this an error will be a big problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Benedict [mailto:pbened...@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:25 PM
To: Alex Buckley
Cc: jigsaw-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: Unnamed module and duplicate package

Alex,

For the sake of usability, however, it would be nice if the JDK verified that
jars do not contain any exported JDK packages. This would be an RFE. I
understand that in order to avoid split packages between modules and classpath,
the module version takes precedent. For developer vs. developer code, I find
that reasoning fine. However, I really would like to treat the JDK as "special"
(your words) because in my experience, I see developers constantly perplexed by
NoClassDefFoundError when something occurred like you just detailed.

I'd like to refer you to the Servlet 3.1 spec [1], section 10.7.2, as an
analogous concern to mine. This is the so-called "prohibited classes"
violation clause:

"As described in the Java EE license agreement, servlet containers that are not
part of a Java EE product should not allow the application to override Java SE
platform classes, such as those in the java.* and javax.* namespaces, that Java
SE does not allow to be modified. The container should not allow applications
to override or access the container’s implementation classes."

I don't think it's good usability to let JDK packages in the classpath go
silently unchallenged and unloaded. I recommend they are reported as an error.

[1] https://java.net/downloads/servlet-spec/Final/servlet-3_1-final.pdf

Cheers,
Paul