We tried using regex in jlink for various filters and found that it made jlink
> 10x slower.  Granted jlink is time critical and jimage is not.  I made the
assumption that filter expressions would be very basic, most of the time, and
tried to be consistent with filters for both tools.  I could easily change it
to use regex if not a basic pattern.

Note we also chose not to use java.lang.regex in Nashorn for similar reasons
(plus the fact it didn’t meet JS spec. .)  Might be worth revisiting regex
performance.

— Jim