On 01/06/2016 16:35, Jim Laskey (Oracle) wrote:
We tried using regex in jlink for various filters and found that it made jlink
> 10x slower.  Granted jlink is time critical and jimage is not.  I made the
assumption that filter expressions would be very basic, most of the time, and
tried to be consistent with filters for both tools.  I could easily change it to
use regex if not a basic pattern.

Note we also chose not to use java.lang.regex in Nashorn for similar reasons
(plus the fact it didn’t meet JS spec. .)  Might be worth revisiting regex
performance.

I understand that this was an issue in Nashorn. I wasn't aware of this being a problem with jlink as the regex usage should be very simple with the order-resources or exclude-resources plugins. Note that jar and jmod both have options that are patterns so we are a bit inconsistent on this point.

-Alan.