On 2/07/2016 1:17 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:

On Jul 1, 2016, at 12:48 AM, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com> wrote:

Okay so back to my original statement - if all this does is ensure the main
class is found does it really carry its weight as a new argument?

Are you suggesting for java —-dry-run to run <clinit> or not to load main
class?  Are you thinking that if the main class can’t be found or no main entry
point, launching it will fail anyway and why bother?

The difference between -version and --dry-run is only the locating of the main class, which will be an obvious failure without --dry-run. It just doesn't seem to carry its weight as a new command-line arg. I had assumed the loading and/or initialization was needed to ensure the module system was all configured correctly, but based on what you have said that seems not to be the case.

David

Mandy