Hi,

On 07/26/2016 06:42 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
If the default does not change, then I assume the tools will
effectively work around it. ie. that Maven will have an option to
export all packages not explicitly hidden. Anything else would be far
too annoying for development.

Stephen
PS, I would accept a design where developers could choose to use
exports or restricts (but not both) in module-info.java.

What about adding support for automatic modules to javac ?

Currently if there is a directory in the -modulesourcepath that contains sources but no module-info.java file, it is not treated as a module. If it was treated as an automatic module (meaning that it would export all packages and require all other modules), the development process could be more easily bootstrapped. At some point in time when clear API of the module is formed, the developer would just add the module-info.java to it to describe the module in full...

Regards, Peter