On 02.10.2016 11:42, Alan Bateman wrote:
[...]
In prior releases
when updates to the Java Language would have required to IDEs and some
tools but wouldn't have wide impact on tools. This is the reason for
early access releases and the ongoing outreach to create awkward of
issues and impact.

it really depends on the project of if things are affecting you or not. I think since JDK 1.2 only JDK6 did no require us making changes somewhere... sometimes because of things changed in maintenance versions, sometimes because of new features conflicting with ours.

On Groovy then Jochen has brought up issues here several times. I get
the impression that there is a lot more to this, often it seems like
issues that should be discussed on mlvm-dev. We have not seen anything
like these issues with Nashorn (Javascript), it is of course based on
method handles and a different design.

Well, if you have a 10 year old project you can expect it depending much more on Reflection than something like Nashorn... especially when it is coupled tightly to Java and does not build up its own independent universe

bye Jochen