On 02/13/2017 11:30 AM, fo...@univ-mlv.fr wrote:
- even as a temporary workaround, it's really weird to have to require a module
named java.xml.ws.annotation for that. It does not really make sense from an
end user perspective.

the module name reflect the fact that it's a part of jax-ws and not annotations
that you can use for other things.

And here is the problem: these are JSR 250 annotations and I guarantee you that >99% of Java users don't know (or care) why they were introduced in to the platform. The fact that they came in as part of JAX-WS cannot possibly be less relevant to their modern presence in the JDK. Trying to force people to care (by putting the annotations under an otherwise obscure module identifier) is neither helpful nor useful to just about anyone; no amount of pretending is going to convince anyone that these annotations belong to JAX-WS and not JSR 250.

Nothing in this discussion has changed (at least) my position: the classes cannot be removed in the Java 9 time frame; JSR 250 should have its own identity regardless of why it was originally introduced; if it is to be removed later then there should be a platform replacement for @Generated in java.lang.annotation that is ideally introduced now so that there is an overlapping transition period.
--
- DML