2017/2/13 9:17:47 -0800, Guillaume Smet <guilla...@hibernate.org>:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:10 PM, alan.bate...@oracle.com wrote:

>>> What do you suggest then? As far as I understood you, you were suggesting
>>> removing the module in Java 10 so the @Generated annotation would also be
>>> gone? Or did I misunderstand?
>>
>> That is the proposal. If it goes ahead then it means that tools that rely
>> on these annotations in the JDK would need to deploy the standalone version
>> on the class path or as a module on the module path.
>
> Yeah, so basically, it would end up with
> http://hg.openjdk.java.net/code-tools/jmh/rev/d74b2861222c .
>
> I don't think it's the best possible outcome for this useful annotation.

I agree.

The `@Generated` annotation falls outside the original charter of the
`java.lang.annotation` package, which was meant for annotations that
directly support the language's annotation facility, but we already
added `@Native` in SE 8, so let's add `@Generated` in SE 9 as David
suggests and encourage people to use it when running on this and later
releases.

The fact that `@Generated` is so widely used is new information to some
of us, so thanks for bringing it up.

- Mark