Thanks for starting this discussion.

One thing to point out is that for JavaFX we actually use two different approaches depending on whether you are talking about the maven artifacts or the downloadable artifacts.

The maven artifacts, which is what Johan was primarily referring to, use option 4 as he mentioned. The modules are delivered as a set of modular jar files. Two things are worth noting. First, from an application POV there is only the javafx.graphics module; the tooling uses the dummy jar file, but ultimately chooses which of the platform-specific modular jars to load, each of which has the module name of "javafx.graphics". Second, there are no jmod files on maven central (although since we pack the native code in the jar files for the modular jars that go on maven central, it "sort of" works to point jlink at the platform-specific modular jars).

The downloadable artifacts consist of an "sdk" bundle and a "jmods" bundle for each platform. Once downloaded and unzipped, the SDK contains a set of modular jars (along with the native libraries for that platform), while the jmods bundle contains a set of jmods. The modular jars in the SDK and the jmod files in the jmods bundle are all named simply "javafx.graphics", etc. So this is really option 1.

If we had a blank sheet of paper (i.e., if we were defining the tools to work with modules as well as the modules themselves), option 1 with some standardized way of selecting the specific physical implementation for your platform would seem ideal to me. A library like JavaFX -- or any other library with platform-specific bits -- wouldn't have to split its modules into "api modules" and "implementation modules". This more closely matches what happens in the JDK itself for modules that are delivered with the platform. There is only a single "java.desktop" module regardless of platform, with different physical instances of that module for each platform (OS x arch).

However, it seems that this option is running into an impedance mismatch with existing tools like maven, gradle, the various IDEs, etc. It seems like there ought to be a solution to this, but maybe there are just too many compatibility constraints with the existing tools.

-- Kevin