We can publish JMODs, or any other binaries for that matter, on Maven repositories, for example, here's a random one I've just pulled out: https://search.maven.org/artifact/com.github.nullterminated/trylambda/1.4/jmod

But why do we need to maintain 2 different sets of archives containing essentially the same thing? Android has been doing something similar: When native libraries are involved, we need to feed it AAR files instead of normal JAR files for end users to get all the benefits of the platform. However, we don't need to do that in the case of, for example, OSGi. With some additional metadata and a lot of hacking, we can get it to manage JAR files containing native libraries just fine, so it *is* possible. JAR is the common denominator, JMOD is not.

If it wants to remain relevant, OpenJDK should really consider having a broader discussion about this. That is, rather than simply saying that everything is hopelessly broken, and that we have to throw everything out the window, let's maybe try to fix the "old and broken", because redoing everything from scratch just isn't going to happen. If the Java platform cannot maintain some semblance of backward compatibility, developers are going to be tempted to just abandon it and start new projects with something else.

Please, please, do consider fixing the JDK instead of talking about coming up with incompatible "solutions"!

Samuel