I noticed a number of places where the package includes went from
specific to generic, i.e.:

import javax.swing.JComponent;
import javax.swing.JPanel;

contracted to

import javax.swing.*;

This is a problem that bit the ArgoUML project in the butt.  When
you migrated from JDK 1.2 to JDK 1.3, the introduction of some new
official Java classes broke the application.

The particular culprit in that instance was the addition of the
java.util.Timer class in JDK 1.3.  They had a couple classes that
imported javax.swing.*; and java.util.*; in the same class.  The
JVM didn't know which Timer to use, so it gave up.

Due to boneheaded things like that (on Sun's part), I really advise
against the wildcards in the import statements.  If JDK 1.4 or JDK 1.5
introduces a new conflicting class name that is in a different package,
JMeter will break.  If we explicitly import only the classes we need,
our application won't break due to class naming issues.

Just my $0.02, but hopefully I
communicated my concern.