Thank you so much Mike for helping me.
I was using the jmeter 1.6. Now I switched to jmeter 1.7beta and tested the
same.
Now I am getting the following exception

java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested
exception
is:
        java.net.SocketException: Connection aborted by peer: socket write
error

java.net.SocketException: Connection aborted by peer: socket write error
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.releaseOutputStream(Unknown
Source
)
        at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(Unknown Source)
        at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.engine.RemoteJMeterEngineImpl_Stub.addThreadGroup(U
nknown Source)

Could you tell me why?

-Dinesh