I still had a copy of the jmx file that didn't work, after re-examination I
have realised that there were a bunch of image file retrievals between the
two http requests that will obviously have impacted the data on which the
regex was running.  My mind had simply been ignoring the images, believing
they were not material to the flow of the script.  When I moved the two
requests out of the Recording Controller they were then next to one and
other and hence the function worked.

To be sure, I have confirmed the correct behaviour when a Recording
Controller exists as a parent to the two HTTP Request.

To summarise: All is well, I screwed up.

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade