I do the first bit for my application load test, not sure what you're asking in the
second point.
This is how to do what I think you're asking for in your first question:

When a user clicks the "create entity" button in our app, the result page displays
something along the lines of "entity created with id: X".

The ID displayed on the create entity result page is actually a business ID, not the
surrogate key, but by a quirk of our system, that's exactly what we need to pass as
the identifying information to the other pages in our system (don't ask).

We extract the entity id with a regex extractor with approximately the following
settings:
Name: entity ID extractor
Reference name: UV.entity.id
Regular expression: (entity created with id: )([0-9]+)
Template: $2$
Match No.: 1

"UV.entity.id" is the name of the variable that JMeter will stick the extracted id
into (the UV prefix is part of our JMeter variable naming standard, supposed to stand
for UserVariable).

Then for example, when we want to navigate to the view page for that entity, we create
a HTTP sampler with the path field looking something like "<app
context>/jsp/EntityView.jsp?entity_key=${UV.entity.id}"

Note that if the result page doesn't display the key you need in order to navigate to
the view page (and why should it?), then you'll have to alter your app to stick it in
a HTML comment or something.

Cheers,
Shorn.

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.