to my knowledge, even if you use a commercial product like mercury.
You still can't simulate 250 threads from one system without it eating
a ton of memory. In fact, I believe mercury doesn't recommend you try
it, unless you're using a beefy dual or quad CPU server with 8Gb of
RAM, Gigabit ethernet and Gigabit router.

in fact, since mercury prefers to save the results to a database,
you'd have a hard time doing it from one system. Mercury happens to
have a good reputation and is considered a reliable testing tool.

I've been able to go up to 75 threads with JMeter with decent
performance. For more than 100 threads I always use multiple client
machines.

peter