From: Peter Lin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 July 2004 03:33
To: JMeter Users List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: jmeter memory consumption

to my knowledge, even if you use a commercial product like mercury.
You still can't simulate 250 threads from one system without it eating
a ton of memory. In fact, I believe mercury doesn't recommend you try
it, unless you're using a beefy dual or quad CPU server with 8Gb of
RAM, Gigabit ethernet and Gigabit router.

in fact, since mercury prefers to save the results to a database,
you'd have a hard time doing it from one system. Mercury happens to
have a good reputation and is considered a reliable testing tool.

I've been able to go up to 75 threads with JMeter with decent
performance. For more than 100 threads I always use multiple client
machines.

peter

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:29:06 -0400, Michael Stover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> So what's the problem, exactly?
>
> -Mike
>
> On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 20:21, Remedy QA wrote:
> > It seems Jmeter is a memory hogger. If given more memory, it will keep
consuming.  I am using JMeter nightly build of June 12.

> > During my test run of approximately 50 minutes, with 250 virtual users
on one GUI Jmeter client, it managed to consume about 1 GB of real memory.
As the test continued, the memory just kept diminishing.  The garbage
collecting (minor collecting) happened about every 20 to 60 seconds.   The
CPU spikes happen when there are GCs.

> > I also ran the same test on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM.  When the
test was over, real memory was at about 32mb.

> > I tried with non-GUI mode but several threads hung and never was able to
finish.

> > So it seems that if I use a machine with more memory and give it a
bigger heap, it just consumes as much as it can.  I don't think 250 virtual
users for the machine type I use is too much load.  There must be something
I am missing.  Any help appreciated.

> > I ran a test with the following configuration:
> >
> > Single JMeter Client on Windows 2000 Server, 2 GB RAM, single 2.8 Ghz
Pentium 4 CPU.  JDK 1.4.2_04

> > JMeter JVM settings:
> > set HEAP=-Xms1280m -Xmx1280m
> > set NEW=-XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
> > set DEBUG=-verbose:gc -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCApplicationConcurrentTime
-XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime

> > All other JVM settings are the defaults that came with jmeter.bat.
> >
> > JMeter output set to CSV, jmeter and jorphan logging set to warning.
> >
> > Jmeter script:
> >
> > Test Plan
> >    ThreadGroup - 250 virtual users, ramping up every 5 seconds. Loop
once.
> >       Aggregate Listener
> >       Simple Controller
> >           8 HTTP Requests in here
> >           3 Aggregate Listeners in here
> >       Runtime Controller - 45 minutes total for all users.
> >           33 HTTP Requests in here
> >           2 Aggregate Listeners in here
> >       Simple Controller
> >           2 HTTP Requests in here.