I don't know of any large government organization using Jmeter, but I
know plenty of apache developers. I use it regularly on commercial
projects over the last 4 years.

if senior management feel they need to fork over 20K for Mercury
loadRunner, it's gonna be hard to change their minds. I've used it at
verizon in the past and several commercial companies use it to stress
test their products.

peter