The 90% line tells you that 90% of the samples fell at or below that
number.  It works like median rather than like mean.  The advantage of
such a measure is it allows you to assert something like "90% of
requests were handled in x amount of time".  With an average, you can
make no such assertion about what users experience - you have no handle
on what users experience during busy periods.

-Mike