Checking the content of a response is usually handled by using an Assertion:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#assertions

But if you do want to use the RE function, then I suggest you try it
in a JavaSampler so you can see what is returned.

Or wrap it in the __log() function.

S.