Alan, thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

As latency is even a better choice than elapased, shouldn't it be included in the 'summary report' and 'aggregate report' ? In this case, we can use both times for the measurement of the systems' performance.

Thanks

Jian

>>> "Christensen, Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/17/06 7:00 PM >>>
Latency is the time at which the first byte of the html page gets
received by jmeter.  After that point in time several TCP/IP segments
may be required to actually download the entire page.  These segments
may require acknowledgements which would introduce additional network
delays before the page is fully received.  In addition, the bandwidth of
the "last mile" will typically limit the speed at which the rest of the
page gets delivered.

The latency time is typically a better measure of system response time
than the total response time.  This is especially true of large pages
where the network component of the response time can easily dominate the
user response time.

One thing I noted is that the latency time, and many other parameters,
do not show up in the log unless the xml format is selected.  This makes
it much more difficult to get the log into an excel spreadsheet than is
the case with a simple .csv log.  I'm assuming that this limitation is a
bug in jmeter.  Does anyone know if this is the case, or if there are
any workarounds?