Throughput = Number of requests / Total time to issue the requests.

For a single request, the throughput depends only on the time to issue
a single request.

For multiple requests, the throughput depends also on the gaps between
the requests. E.g. if a request is issued every 30 seconds, the
throughput will be 2/min, and is largely independent of the time each
request takes.