In fact, I posted my question *after* reading the user manual and
trying to put the specifier in my pattern without success.  The
document could use an example.

My pattern is
some text.*some more text

This fails because .* does not match new lines.

I tried
some text.*(?s)some more text

This fails aparently because the single line specifier is in the wrong place.

Can you give an example of how to adjust my pattern to include this specifier?

THanks
Michael