Thanks Steve, but the pearl docs dont help either.

JMeter uses pearl style paterns without the / delimiters, so it is not
possible to specify

/my pattern/s

The JMeter docs say to use (?s) but do not show where it goes in the
pattern.  For pearl, the modifier goes at the end of the pattern, but
JMeter does not use the / delimiters, so it is not obvious from the
JMeter docs where the modifier goes.

I have tried:
first part.*(?s)second part
first part(.*?s)second part
first part(.?s)second part

and a few others that I did not keep track of.  These seem to parse,
but the match fails.

I tried
first part.*second part(?s)

and this fails with a parse exception for unmatched parens

and
first part.*second part(?s):
seems to parse but does not match

An example of a valid pattern that specifies single line mode would
really be useful.

Michael