It will be nice if jmeter has an output that shows the whole key/value
pairs. That way I could see what variables I have to work.

Now you got me confuse in something else.

If I want to loop through each line of a text file OR loop through
each row of data of a database. Is the for loop controller the one to
use??? Now, it seem to me that the forloop is too loop  only on , for
example, the results of a regular expression found in ONE line or ONE
row and NOT to loop through each line.