Just a random thought - could you try some different syntax like
"general000[^${loopCount}]"? This will include the loop number in the
result, but it generally filters out the current loop.

A quick test with the Java Matcher functionality shows that the
pattern works as initially written:

Enter your regex: general000(?!5)
Enter input string to search: general0005
No match found.

Enter your regex: general000(?!5)
Enter input string to search: general0003
I found the text "general000" starting at index 0 and ending at index
10, with 0 groups: