Himanshu Ghai wrote:
:-) i am yet to see an app that worked so well in first go..
I have on a couple of occasions but in those cases performance was taken seriously from the beginning and integrated into the development process.
i'd
still contend it's not irrelevant..how do you know when it breaks
at 6000, if after 5000 it degraded drastically or after 50?
for when you're testing what is expected to have more noise
5000/500 or 50?
what if it didn't even like 5 users and you bombed it with 5000..
The last benchmark I did I was asked to evaluate the maximum number of idle sockets we could keep open. The max in RedHat is 1,000,000 (limited by a the size of bit map compiled into the kernel) and we reached that number in the first benchmark run. I wouldn't have finished if I had taken a more conservative route. In cases where the application broke before we could stabilize at the desired load it more useful to see it break then it was to see at which level it would function. I don't see any point in dancing around the question at hand ;-)

I should add that the Apache Mina guys deserve many kudos. That framework was the basis for the benchmark and it is rock solid!

Regards,
Kirk

Cheers,
Himanshu