OK, I've been through the manual and understand how to go about setting
up my tests technically. The thing that I seem to be missing is how to
set up tests meaningfully.

I have an application that receives packet data on a regular basis and
then allows people to log in and view reports of the data. I'd like to
write  a jmeter test that simultaneously simulates the data coming in
and the people logging in to review it.

So I've created a slew of UDP packets for coming in. It is important
that packets from the same source come in sequentially. When done I will
have 250 sources for these packets.

I started setting up a thread group for each of the sources with one
thread apiece, but it appears that jmeter wouldn't run more than 4 of
them. So now what do I do to simulate this load? Should I use threads?
How many, because the manual warns about too many.

Then how do I set up each of my tests. I want 50 users and each user
will own the data from 5 of the data sources. How do I set this part up?

Thanks.