On 05/05/2011 02:58 PM, Thom Hehl wrote:
> OK, I've been through the manual and understand how to go about setting
> up my tests technically. The thing that I seem to be missing is how to
> set up tests meaningfully.
>

> I have an application that receives packet data on a regular basis and
> then allows people to log in and view reports of the data. I'd like to
> write  a jmeter test that simultaneously simulates the data coming in
> and the people logging in to review it.
>

> So I've created a slew of UDP packets for coming in. It is important
> that packets from the same source come in sequentially. When done I will
> have 250 sources for these packets.
>

> I started setting up a thread group for each of the sources with one
> thread apiece, but it appears that jmeter wouldn't run more than 4 of
> them. So now what do I do to simulate this load? Should I use threads?
> How many, because the manual warns about too many.
>

> Then how do I set up each of my tests. I want 50 users and each user
> will own the data from 5 of the data sources. How do I set this part up?

Hi,

sounds like a job for 250 Threads and some User Defined Variables elements.
You can define variable values for each Thread, or define, say, 50
values, so that each value will be shared by 5 Threads.

Managing this in the GUI is bound to be painful, so you may want to
start out small and then expand the .jmx file with an editor or
scripting language.

HTH,
Felix