I am using an "HTTP Request HTTPClient" sampler and setting the "Response
Timeout" to 500 ms.  I am also collecting results to a file in a "View
Results in Table" listener.

After a test run I saw that one request had failed because of a response
timeout.  Nice.

I then examined the output file from the "View Results in Table" listener
and found the offending request -- indeed it had exceeded the 500 ms timeout
value (515 ms in this case).  Looking closer at the other entries in the
output file however I see 13 other entries that seem to have taken more then
500 ms; the slowest one was 619ms. However, these requests did NOT fail with
a timeout.

Here is an example record from the output xml file (the responseData has
been omitted):

<httpSample t="619" lt="619" ts="1307125237929" s="true" lb="HTTP Request
HTTPClient" rc="200" rm="OK" tn="Thread Group 1-12" dt="text" by="713">
  <responseData class="java.lang.String">[edited out]</responseData>
  <cookies class="java.lang.String"></cookies>
  <method class="java.lang.String">GET</method>
  <queryString class="java.lang.String"></queryString>
</httpSample>

Am I misunderstanding the timeout functionality?  It does seem to
essentially work -- I can see request timing out if I set the timeout low
enough.  I just wonder why some of these lengthy requests that exceed the
timeout value would not register to httpclient as a timeout.

Thanks for any insight,
John