The objective of the test is to see what the system performs like when there
are 100 concurrent requests going on... So long as we keep it at 100,
everything is fine. When I run 10000 iterations (100 per thread), I see that
about 9400-9600 into the run, my thread count begins to drop off - until I
get to the last few iterations - and they seem to be with 1 or 2 threads.
This means that when my test begins to wind down, the 'average' duration for
the last 600 or so iterations gets progressively better and better (as the
load dwindles).

I can just cut the test off at 9000 - and check the numbers there, but it
would be nice to have a way to tell JMeter to cut off at 9000 (or whatever)
so that I can run my tests unattended and just examine the results. Ideally,
JMeter would simply have a different sort of thread group - that tried to
maintain a constant number of simultaneous threads - through the end of the
test, having some threads continue longer to make sure they are maintaining
constant load while other threads are lagging behind in iterations. The
trick here is the 'counters'... You'd want the thread group to share a
universal counter - so that each iteration of a thread would pick up the
next available number from the counters - otherwise you'd have an incomplete
set of numbers used in your counters (e.g., a slow thread might only get
through 400 of its 1000 numbers, whereas a faster thread might get through
1600 - so you'd want to make sure that the extra 600 on the fast thread were
the numbers that the slower thread failed to use).

(Wouldn't it be nice if I could schedule software developers like that too!)

--
Robin D. Wilson
Sr. Director of Web Development