You shouldnt use  Constant timer for such requirements , because that would
need you to know in advance the average time your request responds in - for
you to be able to calculate the delay you need to get the rate of requests
you want

These type of requirements are met by the constant throughput timer (or by
the throughput shaping timer from jmeter-plugins
http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/ThroughputShapingTimer).

So you should be able to say 144000 samples per minute and "all threads" -
because thats what you want. If you want to calculate it per thread then you
might be off by a little because they may not all respond the same
(Especially if you have synchronization problems). Youll have to divide your
wanted number by the number of threads and then specify the value.

However if you look at the Number of threads you have = 80 , and you want
2400 requests per second , it means each thread must be able to make 30
requests in a second - which means your requests on average should be about
1000(milliseconds)/30 = 33 milliseconds (assuming Jmeter takes no time ,
which is invalid when you are dealing with small values and youll have to
factor this in). Depending on what your java request does , such an
assumption may not be correct and you have to increase your number of
threads. however you cannot also keep on increasing the number of threads
for a single jvm instance (if you see that your throughput doesnt increase
with the number of threads and doesnt reach the value you want - you have to
either tune jmeter or tune your app - or distribute Jmeter but that might be
problematic depending on what he java sampler does)

You usually run your test for a long enough duration so that ramp up or down
is not signifcant. (there's a recent thread in the archives that discusses
this)

http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/ThroughputShapingTimer also has
some information

regards