Yes,

That's part of the optimizations that could be made.

For going to real Java 1.5 code, I suggest waiting until the 12.0 branch is
created, and I will start doing some modifications on the trunk (12.1.x)
I think, I will do in this order :

   - Adding @Deprecated and @Override annotations (boring, but easy)
   - Starting to use Generics (that won't be simple and it will take time)
   - And optimizations when I see some (for example, I have cleaned up the
   Profiling class that was using reflections to be able to call methods
   existing only with 1.5)

Nico