On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Spencer Bliven <spencer.bli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not seeing any technical problems with the current non-semantic
> version <http://semver.org/> numbers. It might make it harder for
> downstream users to guess the newest version since numbers aren't
> sequential (due to the date), but major.minor.patch is just a convention.

To keep numbers in a sequential order, you can use the date in the format
YYYYMMDD (and eventually HH24MISS if time also).
At least order will be still easy to follow.

> Your suggestion regarding SNAPSHOT builds would work, but it would mean
> that maven always lags one version behind sourceforge. Plus, SNAPSHOT
> builds are really intended to be auto-built from trunk. I'm not entirely
> sure how Jmol development is currently organized (does trunk correspond to
> the 14.7 line?), but it feels like things that are good enough for sf
> should be full releases.

I haven't followed how Bob is keeping up with the version numbering.
In the old time, there was a stable branch (minor=0, 2, 4, 6, 8...) and a
development (minor=1, 3, 5, 7, 9...), but I'm not sure this distinction is
still there.

Nico