David,

>>The command 'reset' will restore the molecule to its original scaling
>> and position.
>>
>>But it does *not* reset the color ... nor reset to the default atom
>> size.
>>
> I need a command that can reset the colour and the atom size, but not
> the position and zoom etc. Maybe it could be along the lines of:
>
>       reset colour; reset size;

I looked at the existing "reset" command and it is behavior seems to be
the same as RasMol ... restore scaling & position but don't change atom
size or color.

One problem is that the default atom and bond sizes can be changed by the
end user. That is, they default to the values specified in the Jmol
application preferences.

If you want to have specific control, then I suggest that you set the
sizes & colors specifically. Try the following:

 select all; color atoms cpk; color bonds none; spacefill -20; wireframe .1

I know that it is a little verbose. You can stick it in a script file and
use the "script" command to run it. Try it out and let me know if you can
live with it.

>> So, frankly, there is a
>> good chance that the other atom styles are going to go away in the
>> future.
>>So, now is your chance to give me a reason to keep them.
>
> They look nice!! Quickdraw mode is anti-aliased whereas I don't think
> shaded is. I think from the aesthetic point of view it's nice to have a
> choice of styles.
Well, now that we got them looking nice I plan to throw the code away :)

We'll see ... maybe we can keep them around.

All of the styles *should* be antialiased. Perhaps Quickdraw just looks
better than the others.

What platform are you running on?

Are you running the application, the web browser applet, or both?

> One last request:
>
> Would it be possible to display a message stating that the current
> molecule is in the process of loading, and also one that stated that the
> molecule cannot be found?

Good idea.

Adios,
Miguel