On Jul 20, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Angel Herraez wrote:

Thanks, Frieda, por taking the time to revise the mouse gestures

Rotate around Z - shift and drag horizontally works with left ("main")
button but not with right ("secondary") button. Can other Mac users
confirm this?

It certainly works in Windows; I will put a warning and wait for
confirmation form other Mac users.

Thanks for annotating your wiki page.I think we have received this confirmation now.

Also, thanks are due to Miguel for being willing to submit this problem to Apple *again*. <Sigh.>

Reset and centre - Shift + double click (left button) works only if
your clicks are not on the molecule. So initially I though this did not
work, until I happened to click away from the molecule. This seems to
me a logical way for it to work, but it should be stated in the chart,
I think.

You are right; same happens in Windows.  Actually, it works outside
of the molecule and on a bond, but not on an atom. It will be best to
say "away from the molecule", to avoid confusion.

Might I presume to suggest the following?

-Add "click on molecule" to the Translation row
-Move the Reset and Center row up to just beneath the Translation row.

I think this would add clarity to the table, because you'd get the information on how to "undo" your translation immediately after seeing how to do it. Also I believe that "click on molecule" would help to clarify "click away from molecule" which I found a bit difficult to interpret (but I can't think of a clearer way to put it, either).

Hope I am not being *too* presumptuous by making specific suggestions like this.

To address the unimplemented slabbing mouse gesture- my understanding
is that the main drawback to implementing a mouse gesture for slabbing
(which is very useful to some) is the confusing image that results when
it is invoked mistakenly. Would it solve the problem to have the mouse
gesture work only after slabbing has been turned on explicitly? Or even
after the mouse gesture has been turned on explicitly?

I agree that would be best for functionality -and compatibility with
Chime gestures-. From the old documentation (that on the web site,
supposedly v.9) that is precisely the way it is supposed to work,
i.e., after explicitly activating it.
I would vote for activation of slabbing via script or context menu,
but a single step activation looks enough to me.

But Miguel has said a couple of times that this funcionality is not
implemented, so that´s what I wrote in the last version in the Wiki.

Understood. That's the way it should be until implemented.

Given what gestures are already in use, I'd suggest ctrl-shift-drag
with the left button for slabbing. (But maybe that's jumping the gun a
bit!)

Not bad! But Ctrl-left drag is the Chime way, and it is not used in
Jmol (some post says there is incompatibility with Mac OSX).

Yes- this OSX incompatibility is the reason I added the "shift". Perhaps no command stroke combo involving control-left-drag will work? Hadn't thought of that.

If the
"protection" from accidental use is done via previous explicit
activation, I think  Ctrl-left drag  should be maintained if
feasible.

I agree, but my strong impression is that it is not feasible.

Thanks, Angel. I really appreciate your work on the mouse page of the wiki - a valuable resource that has been much needed.
-Frieda

Frieda Reichsman, PhD
Molecules in Motion
Interactive Molecular Structures