On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:30 PM, jmol-users- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:01:57 -0600
From: Bob Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Jmol-users] applet -- callback brainstorming

It's certainly an interesting challenge -- the goal, to provide a
"snapshot" of the state of the system. There are two logical
approaches I can think of:

a) a record of scripts run.
b) a dump of properties for every single atom, preferably grouped into
sets.

I see this as TWO SEPARATE issues.

1) A "save state" question. Just as we can leave any drawing program and come back to a saved state, it makes sense that one would want that kind of ability in Jmol as the program matures. The "under-the- hood" details may be ugly and don't need to be edited/accessed by mere mortals such as myself.

2) Script recorder - the script recorder in PE is, I think, most useful for troubleshooting/building one's own scripts. One would like to be able to turn the recorder on and off, and clear it at times to start fressh. This is better for recording a relatively small (100?) number of user events.

For perspective, I'm thrilled that we're now getting greedy with next- level requests. The progress to date on Jmol has been fantastic! Thanks to Miguel and all who contribute development time!

Craig Martin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]