On Oct 21, 2006, at 8:04 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Here are the arguments I would give for stopping the script.
>
> (1) You are certainly going to get an unsatisfactory result.

hi Bob,

I agree. hopefully I did not give the wrong impression here: Miguel
did a fine job of convincing me. :-)  I think it *is* better that
Jmol does not fail silently.  I guess my concern is with the way Jmol
tells me that it has failed (if you'll pardon the anthropomorphization).

> (2) It is better to have a full stop than to pretend to read a
> script that
> can't really be read.

I agree.

> (3) Programmatically, Jmol "throws an error" and it is simply not
> possible
> to continue from that point. These aren't just warnings -- they are
> indications that the script command has failed.

this is why a 'buffer' might be useful, to check for command syntax
errors.  naive filtering on the javascript side can account for the
most obvious problems; a built-in filter might be more effective.  it
might also be impossible or impractical to implement; I defer to  the
Java programmers on that, of course.

> (4) I can see that it might be a pain, but there are a finite
> number of
> differences between Chime and Jmol; when you find "set zoom center"
> does
> not work, and you develop a work-around, you apply that
> modification to
> all scripts and move on. Thus each such inconvenience should be a
> singular
> event. Once you have worked through your list, that should be it,
> and then
> when you get to the end and you have no further script stops, you know
> that Jmol is reading the scripts.

when a long script is sent to the Jmol applet, and it fails, it has
been difficult to determine exactly where the script is failing.  I
agree that fixing such failures should be easy enough, as long as one
can quickly determine the point of termination.  an obvious error
message from Jmol would be extremely helpful (i.e., file name if
applicable, line number if applicable, offending command, and
error).  of course, testing scripts in the app can help a lot, but
sometimes that is not possible.  at times, I have resorted to
watching the command stream in the browser status bar, which can be
frustrating.

an idea: is it possible for Jmol to echo error messages to the applet
space itself?  that would be the most obvious, in my opinion, and
certainly less annoying than a popup.

tim
--
Timothy Driscoll                                em: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
molvisions - see. grasp. learn.                 ph: 919-368-2667

"All I've got now is a long time, and a slow, slow burn."