I'm interested in any observations on this. So far the idea is to wait
and see if there really is any issue. My guess is that a 50-60K download
generally won't be noticed, as it is about the size of a small image.
But it's possible that the delay would be noticeable and that we need to
allow for preloading.  One thing I can tell you is that  just
downloading the files in some other way does not do anything for you --
they must be downloaded as jar files within an object tag. I guess
that's because they go into a special cache, not the main browser page
cache.

Actually, now that I think of it, I was wrong about cartoons. Loading of
a PDB file itself initiates the ShapeBio.jar download, because as the
PDB model is built helixes are identified, and that requires the
ShapeBio package. Cartoons have nothing to do with it.

Issuing an isosurface, lcaoCartoon, MO, or polyhedra command, on the
other hand, IS what initiates the download of the ShapeSpecial package,
but it is only 36K. Really, I think it won't be noticeable. But let's
see....

Bob