Timothy Driscoll wrote:

>hi,
>
>I am using an external data file to apply a roygb color scheme to a
>set of atoms.  a snippet from an example data file looks like this:
>
>1 -2.0 -1.0 -1.0 -0.0
>2 7.0 9.0 6.0 8.0
>3 8.0 18.0 4.0 15.0
>4 7.0 12.0 12.0 17.0
>5 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>6 4.0 5.0 4.0 5.0
>7 5.0 6.0 5.0 6.0
>8 5.0 6.0 5.0 6.0
>9 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>10 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>11 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>12 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>13 3.0 3.0 5.0 6.0
>14 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>15 9.0 11.0 4.0 6.0
>16 6.0 14.0 12.0 20.0
>17 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>18 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
>19 -0.0 -0.0 -1.0 -1.0
>20 12.0 15.0 21.0 23.0
>21 11.0 14.0 18.0 21.0
>

>my Jmol script loads this file and colors atoms (column 1) by the
>values in the last column (4).  the values in column 4 range from -9
>to 31 for this particular file.
>
>the Jmol output, however, is almost completely yellow and green, with
>a little blue and no red:
>
><http://www.molvisions.com/temp/colorissue.jpg>
>
>(left panel).  this seems odd; I expected a smearing of color.  a
>different data file, with values ranging from -3124 to 77334, gives
>an entirely red structure (above url, right panel).
>

>my hypothesis is that the range of values is too wide, and maybe this
>would work a lot better if I binned them into 5-10 categories first.
>perhaps even log-transform them.  this will require a bit of work,
>though, so I thought I would float it on the list first.  can anyone
>confirm this hypothesis?
>

>thanks!
>
>tim

first confirm that Jmol is treating your data correctly. What is it
reporting for the data range? You could set this range yourself so as to
allow the outlyers to "overflow" the red/blue range and get a better
distribution around the middle.

I think to do this you just get your color scheme set up as you have and
then use something like

 color property_X "myscheme" range 27 29

to adjust that.

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900