On Oct 31, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Bob Hanson wrote:

> Timothy Driscoll wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I am using an external data file to apply a roygb color scheme to a
>> set of atoms.  a snippet from an example data file looks like this:

snip

>> my Jmol script loads this file and colors atoms (column 1) by the
>> values in the last column (4).  the values in column 4 range from -9
>> to 31 for this particular file.
>>
>> the Jmol output, however, is almost completely yellow and green, with
>> a little blue and no red:
>>
>> <http://www.molvisions.com/temp/colorissue.jpg>
>>
>> (left panel).  this seems odd; I expected a smearing of color.  a
>> different data file, with values ranging from -3124 to 77334, gives
>> an entirely red structure (above url, right panel).
>>

>> my hypothesis is that the range of values is too wide, and maybe this
>> would work a lot better if I binned them into 5-10 categories first.
>> perhaps even log-transform them.  this will require a bit of work,
>> though, so I thought I would float it on the list first.  can anyone
>> confirm this hypothesis?
>>

> first confirm that Jmol is treating your data correctly. What is it
> reporting for the data range? You could set this range yourself so
> as to
> allow the outlyers to "overflow" the red/blue range and get a better
> distribution around the middle.

yep, the report does match the actual data range, so Jmol appears to
be handling the data correctly.  I don't know the shape of the
distribution, though, and it may change between data sets, so I'm not
entirely comfortable imposing range limits. in fact, I didn't know
range limits were even possible!  (it may come in handy elsewhere, so
thanks for the tip in any case. :-)

Bob, can you explain how Jmol assigns colors in the case of an
external data set?  for example, the roygb scheme.  I assume Jmol
breaks up the entire data range into 5 equal sections, and applies
one color to each section.  (for the bwr scheme, it would be three
instead of five sections.)  is this correct?

if so, I can dispense with binning the data and look into
transforming them into a normal distribution.

cheers,

tim
--
Timothy Driscoll                                em: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute               ph: 540-231-3007

04-16-07.  We will not forget you.