You should set:

hermitelevel =5;

in your jmol script. That will make your trace look much better in jmol! And
povray just copies that. So actually it was already looking irregular in
jmol, just less clearly noticeable.

As far as shadows are concerned: The jpgs on bobs website are from a version
that had shadows, I don't get any shadows by default with his system using
the current application. Often shadows of heaps of atoms obscure a clear
view, but I have to admit that they can help with the feeling of depth and
dramatic effects as well, so it should be easy to choose between having
shadows on or off.

I don't get the "no file was written" warning, and I can't remember if this
is some specific povray case.

--
Greetings, Pim
http://www.molmod.com