I just showed some of the capabilities of Jmol in group meeting for the group
where I'm doing my sabbatical.  There was a lot of interest in the features of
Jmol, so I have a couple of questions.  The first one is whether it would be
possible for Jmol to calculate and display volumes of the cavities inside of
proteins?  This question came up when I was showing the AChE tutorial built
using JTAT, which shows the cavities in different forms of the enzyme.  I'm
guessing that the cavity surfaces were calculated in some other software and
then passed on to Jmol like some of the other surfaces.  If it's not already
possible to do this, would it be difficult to implement?

Question number 2.  I've made several animations with small molecules by
concatenating the xyz files.  Is it possible to do the same thing with proteins
and their pdb files?  Or do the different pdb files need to be packaged into
one file as separate models?  Would it be possible to do an animation like this
with 100 pdb files?  I'm an organic chemist rather than a biochemist, so I must
admit I'm uneducated about what's possible to accomplish with the larger files
and with the different format.
-Jennifer

Jennifer Muzyka
Professor of Chemistry
On sabbatical at University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy
Centre College
Danville, KY  40422

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://web.centre.edu/muzyka